Monday, March 12, 2018

Review: Another City: Poems

Another City: Poems Another City: Poems by David Keplinger
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I just returned home from AWP in Tampa. While there, I attended a reading of Milkweed poets, including David Keplinger. I returned to my hotel room and discovered that one of the galleys of poetry I had for books coming out this next week was the same guy! Cool.

My main impression of Keplinger's poems is best described as dealing with artifacts. He seems to use objects to discuss relationships, between people, between a person and their life, between people those who leave and those who stay. They are quiet but some pack a punch, especially those that seem to be talking about loss.

My favorites include:

"The Sibilant," about the different paths a relationship can go

"A Poetry Shop in Heraklion"

"Magic"

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.