Saturday, May 3, 2014

Jenny's Books Added April 2014

This has been a lighter month on book acquisitions.

Physical books:



The Man Who Loved Books Too Much by Allison Hoover Bartlett
I keep hearing about this book and a copy came available on Paperbackswap.com.  It will be added to my Books on Books shelf in GoodReads.

Pantry: poems by Lilah Hegnauer
An offering from the local Hub City Bookshop, half price for poetry month, poems inspired by kitchen utensils (but not about them.)  My review is in GoodReads.

eBooks:



Women's Work by Kari Aguila
I challenged myself to read a self-published book after a discussion about self-publishing on Episode 3 of the Reading Envy podcast, and came across a review of this title in Publishers Weekly.  I started it but haven't gone back to it.

Zoli by Colum McCann
One of the Kindle daily deals.

Serena by Ron Rash
Ron Rash is a well-known southern author, but I've never read anything by him. He will be at the SC Book Festival in May, so that moves him up the list.  Then this book was $1.99 and I can't resist a book I want to read at that price.

The Best Science Fiction & Fantasy of the Year: Volume Eight, edited by Jonathan Strahan
This is a review copy I received from the editor.  I have really enjoyed previous volumes so I am looking forward to it.

Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Thomas Sweterlitsch
An eARC from NetGalley, but it sounded post-apocalyptic and trippy, with a comparison to J.G. Ballard.  I need to move this one up the list.

From Souk to Souk: Travels in the Middle East by Robin Ratchford
An eARC from NetGalley, this interested me because of my Iran-Iraq-Turkey reading goal this year.

Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well by Douglas Stone and Sheila Heen
An eARC from NetGalley, but a topic I felt would benefit me.  I HATE criticism.

Audiobooks:

The End is Nigh (The Apocalypse Triptych #1) edited by John Joseph Adams and Hugh Howey
 I jumped at the chance to get a review copy of this audiobook.  I'm about 1/3 through, and all the stories are about what happens right before a big event.  John Joseph Adams describes it as "the match."  The future books in the triptych will continue some of the stories that start here.  Great concept, and I do love a good disaster!

Please come find me in GoodReads and friend me there.  That is where I keep track of all the books I want to read and review the books I've read.  

2 comments:

  1. I loved a lot The Man Who Loved Books Too Much!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.