Friday, August 17, 2012

Skios by Michael Frayn

Skios: A NovelSkios: A Novel by Michael Frayn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was one of the few books longlisted for the Booker that I could get my hands on immediately.  

It makes sense that Michael Frayn is best known for his plays, because it is impossible to read this without seeing it staged in my mind. Only after I finished it did I realize he is the same playwright who wrote Noises Off. It has the same feeling to it - farce, silliness, chaos, characters who are so wrapped up in being themselves that they don't pay attention or fix their own problems; necessary for the entire thing to work.

Instead of a stage, this is set on a tiny Greek isle. I laughed a lot and took intentional breaks because it went by too quickly, and I wanted to enjoy it. 

As far as novels set in Greece though, it would be hard to displace The Magus in my mind.

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I have added you to my booker blog roll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry linked to wrong blog. Blame the heat. I blogroolled you at this blog

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.