Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Wonderful Wednesdays #5 (Escapism)

One of my favorite book blogs to follow is Tiny Library, because Sam seems to have similar literary tastes to me, but just different enough where I'm always adding more to my to-read list.  She is also the creator of the Literary Blog Directory, where I have stumbled across some great blogs!

She is bringing back her Wonderful Wednesdays meme, and today's theme is escapism

What books do you read when you are having a tough time of it in real life and need to forget all of your worries?  What books do you trust to take you far away from reality?

When I was an undergrad, my roommate and I would escape to the curriculum room of the library on campus and read children's books to de-stress.  My top two were The Velveteen Rabbit and Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day.  I wish I had copies of both to pull out on bad days!

I think really any book I'm engaged with will allow for escape, but someone who writes beautifully will be the most effective.  Actually I think the best escape would be fantasy combined with beautiful writing, so I would head to Catherynne M. Valente.  Maybe Palimpsest, or the book I'm in the middle of listening to - the first volume of The Habitation of the Blessed.  The creatures and constantly shifting point of view demand attention, and I'm happy to oblige, and allow my worries and stress to take a breather. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking part, and for the lovely comments :)

    And I completely forgot about the power of children's books for escapism! Some books by Catherynne M Valente have gone on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Science fiction and fantasy are definitely my go-to genres for escapism.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.