Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Most Fun I've Had - Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Ready Player OneMy blog suffers a bit from reader schizophrenia.  It is completely my fault, a reflection of the fact that I really do go back and forth between literary fiction and science fiction most of the time, with brief jaunts into poetry and short stories.  Sometimes science fiction can be quite literary (Ian McDonald is just one example), and sometimes literature can be quite fun (The Dud Avocado, anyone?), but sometimes it seems a bit strange, even to me.

So hang on to your hats.  From Ulysses and the Booker Prize nominees, I bring you a super fun book that you should read if you lived through the 80s, are any sort of gamer, or if you've been known to hang out in virtual worlds.  Nobody has to know.  You can read it in secret.  But if you'd identify with any of it, I think you'd have fun reading this book.

Actually, I listened to it, at 2x speed, because I usually enjoy Wil Wheaton as a narrator.  I found myself making up reasons to keep listening, and that's when you know something has caught my ear.  I'm not sure I'll remember the story's intricate details later on, but I don't need that from every book I read.  This was pure entertainment.  I almost wish it had come out at the beginning of the summer, because it would have been the quintessential beach read for the Geek. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm a child of the 80s and a massive geek, so I'm sure I would enjoy this :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.